Harsh but true...
Let's consider three facts about digital marketing:
- When your website is new, nobody knows about it, so nobody will visit it
- So, no, switching on a website does not magically attract customers*
- There are only 10 spots on the first page of Google search results, and these positions are already filled by your competitors for every imaginable search term relevant to your business
*Switching on a website will attract bots and many of these are trying to hack you. The bad kind of hacking. Pay attention to good website security.
Of course not, but it is very important to set expectations about marketing your business online, which are all common sense if you state them bluntly:
- Websites don't magically attract visitors
- It is highly competitive to rank highly in Google [organic] search results: not impossible to win, but definitely not fast or free
- Any competitive marketing is going to be expensive to compete in, in relation to how profitable the business type is
- Online you are competing against the entire world, including enormous corporations with large marketing budgets
- Even when you succeed in attracting visitors to your website, it is hard to get people to do what you want them to do, especially if this involves inconvenience, risk, or cost
Whatever you want your web visitors to do on your website that is commercially interesting for you.... it probably involves inconvenience, risk, or cost in their eyes
- The excellence of your service/product and brilliance of your sales proposition make sense in the real physical world: but don't automatically translate into the web medium. You are going need to need both creativity and technical cleverness* to figure out your own unique answer to the question of how to communicate effectively with your target customers
OK thank you for stating the obvious!
But this is not helping!
Let's look at what we can do about this.
In view of our newly realistic and non-magical view of marketing in a highly competitive space, what we really need to know is:
- What might work?
- How hard would that be to do?
- How much would it cost?
- At the end of the day would it be sustainable in the commercial results I get?
Now we're talking!
In fact, we're not: you are reading. To talk to KnowledgePower, contact us right now.
Or continue reading to place yourself on a sliding scale between "we know what to do, we just want to pay experts to take care of it" to "we have no idea where to start and need help getting it right first time"...
If you already know exactly what you want to work on in your digital marketing, great! We will help you get your marketing work done efficiently.
The first order of business will be matching your plan to particular specialisms or logical groupings of work for a versatile marketing assistant to work on with you.
The more detail in specifying implementation you have, the better, as it reduces time and therefore costs. This of course assumes that either the management of the business are experienced in online marketing, or you already have someone managing marketing within your team.
Have a strategic idea of what you want to achieve with your website and online marketing, but not expressed in a detailed plan? No problem, we will help you put together a specific implementation plan.
Prioritizing the most effective digital marketing tactics, we will help you create an action plan with realistic timescales and budget.
If you have not got a top-level strategy written up for your marketing, we will help you figure this out and get into action rapidly.
Strategy for growing your business is not about a load of theory, but it does mean understanding the range of options available to you and the resources required.
As well as costs, we'll help you understand the skills and workload involved in getting particular types of marketing work done effectively and consistently.
It is entirely sensible to focus on the "bottom line" of your internet marketing, which is that you need clicks / traffic / visitors / eyeballs -- and consequently views / downloads / enquiries / leads ... and SALES.
In the vast majority of cases where your business plan calls for rapidly growing awareness, subscribers, and new customer enquiries/transactions, the solution will be advertising!
KnowledgePower specializes in pay-per-click [PPC] via Google AdWords for this reason: it is the most effective way to get fast results.
Getting set up with new advertising campaigns depends on two main factors. Firstly, how far along you are to having effective content and design in your website. It's no use sending torrents of web traffic to unfinished or boring pages.
Secondly, you will need to know how much it is going to cost to reach your required level of traffic. If you have never done PPC advertising before, you will need to undertake some controlled experiments to understand these costs, as they depend on your market and targeting.
We will help you take a clear look at what stage you're currently at and provide an action plan.
We've produced a straightforward 5-question flow chart that helps answer what you should focus on.
SPOILER: for most small and medium businesses, especially new websites, the answer is "pay-per-click advertising"! This is what you get for asking a PPC advertising agency...?
Once you're ready to begin, contact us.